The issue is known and is sadly connected to the OS used by the player (The Windows N versions that have no Windows Media Player installed). The problem can be solved by deleting the video files from the game files. This skips the whole video intro sequence.
The video files can be found (and deleted) here: \steamapps\common\A Year Of Rain\AYearOfRain\Content\Movies
Or if you right-click in your Library -> Manage -> Browse local files: AYearOfRain\Content\Movies
In this case, your redistributables are missing or have not been installed correctly.
MANUALLY INSTALL REDISTRIBUTABLES
Preparation: Make sure the system is clean and cleared of old software remnants
1) Uninstall the game
2) Verify Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x86) or Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x86) or Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 - 2019 Redistributable (x86) are not installed
- Open the Control Panel and click on Programs and Features.
- Uninstall any programs named "Microsoft Visual C++ [Year]] Redistributable"
3) Verify there are no entries in the registry for the respective Redistributables:
- Press WIN key, type regedit, press enter
- go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Valve\Steam\Apps\CommonRedist\vcredist
- if there is a folder named or including 2015, 2017 or 2019, delete it
Option A: Assure Steam Auto install:
0) Follow steps 1 - 3 from above
4) Restart Steam
5) Reinstall the game and run it
6) Steam should now automatically download and install the necessary redistributables
Option B: Direct download:
0) Follow steps 1 - 3 from above
4) Go to Microsoft Support
5) Download Redistributible for Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019 for 32Bit Systems: vc_redist.x86.exe
6) Install the redistributable
7) Install the game and run it
Bonus Content: Your Program Files (x86) Folder \Steam\steamapps\common\A Year Of Rain\bonus content
Replays: Your Program Files (x86) Folder \Steam\steamapps\common\A Year Of Rain\AYearOfRain\Saved\Demos
Crashes: Your Program Files (x86) Folder \Steam\steamapps\common\A Year Of Rain\AYearOfRain\Saved\Crashes
The game performance (FPS) is very low, even though my machine meets recommended hardware requirements.
Set graphics to lowest possible, play campaign on casual and avoid large numbers of units, especially those with fire effects, to achieve the best possible performance. Also, note that recording replays causes a significant performance hit. In case you have checked “Options > Gameplay > Automatically record replays”, consider disabling it.
1. Ingame Chat
Press ENTER in a match to chat with your team mate. Press SHIFT + ENTER to chat with everyone on the match (excl. Observers)
2. Ping System
Push G button to ping on the map at your current mouse cursor location. Also works when pointing on the minimap.
We don't have an voice chat ingame.
This issue appears on Windows if the computer has a 10th generation or newer Intel processor and is most likely caused by a bug in the OpenSSL version used by Unreal Engine from version 4.18 to version 4.21.
To work around this issue, please follow the steps on https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019775837?product=gog.
Visit the Official Website of A Year of RainGame website
Could not find your problem? Please read the general FAQ for common problems and solutions regarding multiple games.FAQ overview