1. You are using a 32-bit version of Windows.
2. The dependencies have not been installed automatically by Steam.
1. 32-bit versions of Windows are not supported, there is no solution.
2. If Steam didn't install the dependencies they can be installed manually by downloading Visual C++ 2013 (x86 und x64) and DirectX from the Microsoft page.
Visual C++ 2013: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784 (x86 + x64)
The computer does not have a soundcard or the sound chip is deactivated. Without a possible sound output the game does not start. Several onboard sound chips deactivate themselves if no output device is connected.
If no headphones or speakers are connected, you should plug something in.
If the sound chip is deactivated it can be reactivated in the device manager or the BIOS/UEFI of the computer. To do the latter, read the manual of your mainboard.
1. Overlay is deactivated in Steam.
2. An overlay of another tool, like FRAPS, is running in the background.
1. Open your STeam Client and select "Steam" on the top left corner. Then click on "Settings". On the left side of the now opened window click on "In-Game". Make sure "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game" is checked.
2. Deactivate tools that have their own overlay, like FRAPS, then restart the game.
List with incompatible tools: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9394-yofv-0014
1. You played the game for a long time straight which caused the physical memory to run out. The game does not free allocated memory yet, so after a long time of playing, the game can crash.
2. You were impatient and pressed the ESC button a lot during the loading screen. The game won't load faster if you do this, but it can become more unstable.
1. Exit the game after a long gaming session, so the allocated memory can be deallocated again.
2. Don't press any buttons in the loading screen.