PLEASE NOTE: If your ingame progress (for example unlocked badges) gets destroyed by switching to an old version, you have the option to manually get your progress back:
We do have a tool available for PC/Mac/Linux that allows you to restore game progress and unlocked badges manually to get your progress back.
Simply follow this link to download the tool.
1. Close the game.
2. In your Steam client, go to the Library and right (mouse button) click on "Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun".
3. Select "Properties" from context menu.
4. Select the Betas tab.
5. Choose either "NONE" for the latest version or either "2.2.2 - Release Version v2.2.2" or "1.4.4 - Release Version v1" for an earlier version of the game.
6. Click "Close" in the lower-right corner of the window.
7. Close and restart the Steam Client.
For GOG, you can select the desired version of your game manually in the game settings in your GOG account. More information here.
Please note: If you are playing the game outside of Steam or GOG (for example Twitch), the rollback to an earlier version is unfortunately not supported.
If you switch from Shadow Tactics version 2.2.2/2.2.6 back to version 1.x, your game progress will get destroyed.
However, you can use this tool that allows you to restore game progress and unlocked badges manually to get your progress back.
Simply download this tool ZIP package, extract and run it and follow the instructions.
Note: The tool does not work for savegames created with version 2.2.2/2.2.6
PC: ST Savegame Tool PC
Mac: ST Savegame Tool Mac
Linux: ST Savegame Tool Linux
For the latest updated version of Shadow Tactics we used a different Unity Engine version than before. Unfortunately this causes a lot of problems with Mac OS, which we cannot fix. We suggest downgrading to a previous version of the game, which should fix these issues for you.
If downgrading to an older version does not help, your Mac might have a too recent OS version. MacOS 10.14 or higher is NOT supported. MacOS 10.13 is supported on a limited basis – compatibility is not guaranteed, you may or may not experience issues with the game.
We apologize for the inconveniences.
First of all: Please note that the game requires a graphics card that supports at least DirectX 10 (as stated in the Minimum System Requirements) in order to run properly.
For everyone of you who suffers from the pink screen issue but have a DX10 or DX11 graphics card: When the game starts, your system erroneously initialises DirectX 9 instead of DX10/11 even though your graphics card should support 10/11.
This is not something we can fix in the game but rather has to be fixed within your Windows environment.
Please make sure that your graphics card drivers are up to date. Make sure you have the most current driver version running on your system. If you are running the latests drivers but still get the pink screen, please check to update your system's DirectX version. Depending on your operating system this can either be done manually or through the Windows Update service by installing any and all of the most recent system updates.
More info on how to update your Windows system can be found here:
How to install the latest version of DirectX
This is a known issue which we're working on fixing in a future update.
There are different solutions you can try out:
1. Download Microsoft Visual C++ Redist 2010 manually in case Steam didn't do this when installing the game: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555
2. Update Windows or your DirectX.
3. Deactivate Steam Cloud by right-clicking on Shadow Tactics in your Steam library, choosing “Properties”, going to tab “UPDATES” and unchecking the checkbox on the bottom under “Steam Cloud”. Then delete the file gameState.sav in the following directory on your computer: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Daedalic Entertainment GmbH\Shadow Tactics Blades of the Shogun\user\gameState_00
Attention: This will delete your savegames!
4. Reinstall the game.
You can also find a Steam thread regarding this topic here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/418240/discussions/0/152390014801394592/
5. If the error log shows you that dll files are missing, you can check & replace them here: http://freewisdoms.com/download-dll-files-commonly-used-by-games/
After updating Shadow Tactics, the savegames from the previous version aren't compatible with the latest version of the game. That means: unlocked levels, badges and settings are still maintained, but the level progress is lost. You have to play the level from the beginning.
If you need a savegame from the newest version, check out our savegame on this page.
You're able to change the language in both the Steam client or within the game.
Steam client: You can change the language by right-clicking on Shadow Tactics in your Steam library, choosing "Properties" and going to the tab "LANGUAGE" in the additional window.
In-game: You can change the language in the audio menu which can be found in the options menu.
It's very important to keep an eye on the viewcones of your enemies, so you're always aware of which area they are observing at the moment.
We also recommend to hide the bodies of knocked out or eliminated NPCs, so you don't attract any unwanted attention.
Also, be careful when moving along a snow-covered area since your footprints can be your biggest traitors and reveal your position.
This issue only occurs with download versions of the game which are not from Steam.
If the installation path contains special characters (e.g. „§“, „é“, cyrillic characters, etc.) the game is not able to create a log file or to install any updates. Therefore, please ensure that your installation path doesn't contain any special characters.